PNSQC: Focus on Quality for Software Conference
PNSQC is an all-volunteer nonprofit organization that manages an annual regional tech summit with workshops, the Pacific Northwest Software Quality Conference. Now in its 35th year, we have been working with PNSQC since year 30.
OBJECTIVE: Grow regional awareness of PNSQC’s annual 3-day conference and expand its community of software quality professionals.
PNSQC has a niche focus in a booming tech industry. A language-, platform-, and software-agnostic conference, its attendees LOVE the content and roughly half return each year. Our approach was to build on the positive word-of-mouth way attendees heard about the conference, and focus on:
Create a stronger brand identity
- Increase awareness of yearly conference and abstract submission process
- Diversify speakers, attendees and volunteers by reaching out to partner communities
It’s hard to tell a story without any visuals. The biggest change we wanted to make was to develop the tools PNSQC could use to tell its story. Combining compelling visual designs and rich content with targeted outreach strategies, To the Point created a dramatic increase in engagement and participation.
- Utilize impressive archive of industry knowledge and create rich new content
- Kickstart proposal submissions through community outreach (via social media and in-person networking)
- Create an Ambassador Kit to support nonprofit volunteers’ networking and connect PNSQC with natural partners
- Improve user experience of website to make navigation easier and streamline content
- Design visuals – logos, photos, videos, swag – to better distinguish the conference, while preserving its overall brand
Growing Regional Awareness
Strengthening Brand Awareness
Now in our sixth year working with PNSQC, not only have we created a new conference experience, but our collaborative approach has led to measurable results.
— Appeal to younger demographics increased: More employees of startups and mobile/app-focused companies submitted presentations and attended, supplanting diminishing corporate blocks.
— Networking and social activities added to primarily academic focus, utilizing the yearly conference theme and expanding community involvement.
- Organic traffic to the website tripled; returning visitors to the website increased 12%
- Presentation submissions to the conference’s Call for Proposals grew by 30%
- Overall growth of across all PNSQC social media reach 28%
” The 2016 marketing for PNSQC was phenomenal. From the website to the printed material, the design and messaging provided a coherent vision for the conference and improved the attendees learning experience.”
~ Marcus Blankenship, conference attendee.
Consultant, Author, Executive Coach
“Working with To The Point year after year has been a rewarding and memorable experience. Their expertise with marketing and communications – understanding how to communicate and navigate within our organization – has created a partnership that makes it hard to imagine how we got things done before their arrival.”
~ Brian Gaudreau, PNSQC Marketing Chair