Add Wikipedia to your wheelhouse
This is Part 2 in a three-part series for companies, brands, and people with established Wikipedia articles.
Whether you work in marketing, public relations, or as a brand manager, you need a plan for your brand’s Wikipedia page. You should maintain it just like you would update your organization’s other social media and marketing platforms.
If you haven’t been utilizing Wikipedia editing for your brand, what’s stopping you? If you don’t think you can do that, we’re here to tell you that you can. The rules of engagement for editing Wikipedia clearly permit paid editors to participate in editing Wikipedia articles about persons or companies they represent.
You just have to know how to do the editing correctly. And there’s the rub.
The right way to edit Wikipedia for your brand
Most brand managers — whether staff or agency — who attempt to edit a client or employer article fail. They are either unaware of the barriers in place to curb paid editing, or they know they are not welcome and try to sneak around the watchful eyes of the volunteer editing community.
End result: Reverted edits, deleted articles, blocked accounts, and loss of credibility with the client.
Our Wikipedia team at To the Point Collaborative can teach brand managers how to successfully edit a Wikipedia article. Our method is based upon years of training brand managers to contribute ethically to the world’s most-used online information resource.
Our clients follow a basic set of practices that allows them to influence their clients’ or employers’ Wikipedia articles. Among them:
- Understand Wikipedia’s rules regarding paid editing and conflict of interest editing.
- Master the language of Wikipedia and guidelines for what can be included in an article.
- Set clear expectations with your employer or client about what can be accomplished on their behalf on Wikipedia.
- Be transparent about your status as a paid editor.
- Engage with the volunteer in a respectful way.
- Approach each article as a maintenance project. Less is more on Wikipedia.
Our brand management training program includes information on these topics and more. When you complete the training, you will be able to add “Wikipedia editor” to your skill set. Your clients will be the better for it.
How Wikipedia benefits your brand
Here’s what a just a few of our brand management clients have to say about their experience with To the Point Collaborative’s Wikipedia training:
- “I needed a Wikipedia page for one of my major clients but didn’t know where to start. I turned to To the Point for help. Dan and his team did not disappoint. They simplified the process and guided me through each and every step so that I could create a page that had an immediate impact on my client’s web presence.” —Bruce B., President, DB&R Marketing Communications, Inc.
- “Thank you again, To the Point, for the fantastic education.” —Dave R., vice president, marketing, a major insurance company
- “I learned from the best!” —Santina S., Senior Manager, Corporate Communications, a major communications company
If you contact us to schedule a training, you too can add Wikipedia editing to your services.